The historic Bank of Glen Jean sits on the corner of the road to Thurmond, a New River Gorge ghost town.
From 1909 to 1939, the Bank of Glen Jean, located in Glen Jean, West Virginia, served as the economic hub for a combined railroading, mining, and financial empire. This historic institution was owned by William McKell, son of Thomas G. and Jean McKell - the latter being whom the town was named after. Throughout its three-decade operation period, McKell held the position of president and managed the bank’s operations and his substantial financial assets from this location. Not long after the bank ceased operations, McKell passed away. Over the following half-century, bank ownership would change many times.
Today, the building is used as office space and storage for the New River Gorge National Park and Preserve.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Copyright 2023 Susan Rissi Tregoning
December 23rd, 2023
Viewed 582 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/29/2024 at 11:01 PM