An autumn golden hour capture of the Bridgeton Mill and Bridgeton Covered Bridge from across the Big Raccoon Creek. Historic Bridgeton Mill is part of Parke County, Indiana, known as the Covered Bridge Capital of the World, with 31 bridges.
First erected as a grain mill in 1823, the Bridgeton Mill is the oldest continuously operating mill west of the Allegheny Mountains. The first mill burned in 1845 and was rebuilt in 1848. The second mill was destroyed by fire in 1868. The mill seen today is the third mill on the site; it dates to 1871.
The first Bridgeton Covered Bridge was a double-span Burr Arch bridge built in 1868 by J.J. Daniels to replace an open wooden bridge. That covered bridge was retired after 99 years of use when the concrete bridge beside it opened in 1967. Sadly, the historic bridge was destroyed in an arsonist fire in April 2005. This beautiful reproduction was built to replace it the following year and dedicated on October 1, 2006, just in time for the annual Parke County Covered Bridge Festival.
Copyright 2022 Susan Rissi Tregoning
October 24th, 2022
Viewed 126 Times - Last Visitor from Warrington, P2 - United Kingdom on 12/04/2022 at 1:23 AM