The Grand Island East Channel Light is located just north of Munising in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Constructed of wood, the light first opened for service in 1868. It was intended to lead boats from Lake Superior through the channel east of Grand Island into the Munising Harbor. The light was very hard to see from Lake Superior, and light maintenance was very difficult so the Munising Range Lights were added and this light was removed from service sometime between 1908 and 1913.
The lighthouse was severely neglected, and was in danger of being washed away due to erosion. Restoration efforts although rustic in form were undertaken in order to restore the lighthouse to the extent seen today.
As seen, FEATURED in:
Midwest America Photography
Copyright 2015 Susan Rissi Tregoning
November 16th, 2015
Viewed 1,127 Times - Last Visitor from Warrington, P2 - United Kingdom on 02/01/2023 at 1:58 AM