The Jasper City Mill, a working grist mill grinding corn, is the signature building for the “Old Jasper” historic area in Jasper, Indiana. The mill, constructed in 2009, is the third to occupy this location on the Patoka River. The mill stones have been reused from the previous mills; they are approximately 200 years old and came from France, while the waterwheel hub and gears came from a mill in Virginia and are somewhere between 120 to 150 years old.
The original mill, built by Andrew Evans, was constructed here in 1817. By 1820, the Enlow family began operating it. It is known that Abraham Lincoln visited this mill in 1828 with his father to grind the family’s grain. Lincoln, who lived in Indiana for 14 years, from 1816 to 1830, would have been 17.
The second mill was constructed here by the Eckert family in 1865. It stood until 1964, when it was torn down because of flood damage. During the 1870s, the mill shipped flour as far south as New Orleans by flatboat.
Copyright 2022 Susan Rissi Tregoning
October 31st, 2022
Viewed 63 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/28/2022 at 3:58 PM