Stanton Hall was built from 1857-1859 by an Irish immigrant, family physician, and cotton merchant Frederick Stanton. This palatial Greek Revival residence located right in the heart of Natchez was initially known as Belfast. Sadly, Dr. Stanton lived in the home one month before he died in 1859.
One of the most opulent homes to survive the war, the mansion occupies an entire city block and cost over $83,000 to build. It was lavishly furnished using Carrera marble for the floors, mahogany for the doors and granite for the front steps and demonstrates the blending of Romanticism and Classicism that occurred in the 1850s as architectural tastes were evolving from Greek Revival to Italianate, Gothic Revival, and other “Victorian” styles.
During the Civil War, the home housed Union troops.
The Stanton family lived here until 1894 when it became the Stanton College for Young Ladies and was renamed Stanton Hall.
In 1938, the Pilgrimage Garden Club purchased the home and restored Stanton Hall to its former glory. The mansion includes many of the original family pieces and offers a glimpse into the life of a wealthy Natchez family.
Stanton Hall was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974 and a Mississippi Landmark in 1995.
Copyright 2019 Susan Rissi Tregoning
May 21st, 2019
Viewed 1,342 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/31/2023 at 6:41 PM