First lit in 1849, the Whitefish Point Light shares honors with the lighthouse at Copper Harbor for being the first lights on Lake Superior. It stands guard over the entrance to Whitefish Bay, sometimes the only shelter to be found for a ship trying to escape the fury of the lake, and is the oldest active light on Lake Superior. Whitefish Point is known as the Graveyard of Ships as more vessels have been lost here than in any other part of the lake. The lighthouse marks the end of an 80 mile stretch of shoreline known as Lake Superior's Shipwreck Coast. The Whitefish Point Light Station, hard hit by the fierce Lake Superior winds and weather, was replaced in 1861 with the steel cylinder you see today.
As seen FEATURED in:
Landscape & Landmarks 11.23.15
Michigan Photography 11.23.15
Midwest America Photography 1.4.16
Copyright 2015 Susan Rissi Tregoning
November 20th, 2015
Viewed 660 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 01/29/2023 at 3:05 AM