A restored Phillips 66 service station along the historic Route 66 in McLean, Texas.
Built in 1929, this is one of the first Phillips Petroleum stations to be opened in the state of Texas. The gas station closed in 1977, after almost 50 years of operation. It was renovated in 1991 to commemorate its heritage on US Route 66 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004 as part of the McLean commercial historic district.
The building, constucted in the Tudor Revival style, has a gable roof, wood shingles, a brick chimney, and an exterior of stretcher bond brick. The entrance had a rounded arch and a solid wood door; these have been removed and replaced with painted wooden panels. The chimney features the original metal “P” for Phillips. There are two early 20th-century gas pumps and oil pumps out front. While the Phillips 66 sign is considered historical, it is not original to the site.
Copyright 2021 Susan Rissi Tregoning
December 30th, 2021
Viewed 1,682 Times - Last Visitor from Ottawa, ON - Canada on 12/10/2023 at 8:32 PM