Duluth’s Old Central High School was built in 1892 of locally mined sandstone. Overlooking the Duluth harbor, it dominates the cityscape towering over the city’s business district.
At $460,000, it was one of the most costly public works projects of the era. It was designed by local Duluth architects who borrowed from some of the best in eclectic Richardsonian Romanesque design to give the city a school to rival even the master, Henry Richardson’s own work. It features a 230 foot clock tower that was patterned after Big Ben in London. They didn’t miss a detail, from smiling cherubs and grotesque animal figures over the cavernous entrance to the towering clock tower. It’s simply amazing!
In 1972, it ceased to be the Central High School but it is still in use by the school district.
Copyright 2018 Susan Rissi Tregoning
September 6th, 2018
Viewed 1,849 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/30/2023 at 1:49 PM