The historic Conococheague Aqueduct in Williamsport, Maryland, is the second largest of the eleven aqueducts along the 184 miles long C&O Canal. The aqueduct, restored in 2017, is watered and fully operational, allowing a canal boat to pass through.
It originally cost $43,283.78 when it was first built of local limestone in 1835. As a boatman would say, the "wall has gone out" several times. It was damaged during the Civil War when Moby's Raiders took it out. In an incident in 1920, Captain Myers returned to Williamsport after dropping off a load of coal in Cumberland. Boat #73 bumped the wall, and he saw the aqueduct wall shutter. Myers had time to yell for them to release the mules before the wall started to collapse; he was able to jump to safety as the boat fell through the break and into the creek. After being repaired once again, the flood of 1924 destroyed it, but the C&O Canal Company was no longer in business. The aqueduct sat in disrepair until the most recent restoration work.
The Conococheqgue Aqueduct, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is at Canal mile marker 99.7 of the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park.
Copyright 2020 Susan Rissi Tregoning
October 8th, 2020
Viewed 1,718 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/01/2023 at 3:40 AM