The Dwight Windmill, also known as Oughton Estate Windmill, is located in Dwight, Illinois. It was built in 1896 by the US Wind, Engine & Pump Co of Batavia, Illinois. The windmill has five stories, eight sides, and a steel frame.
Originally, it was called the pumping tower and was used to pump water from a depth of 840 feet. The water was stored in an 88-barrel cypress tank on the estate grounds.
John R. Oughton, a chemist, was the estate’s first owner and was associated with Dr. Leslie Keeley, the founder of the Keeley Institute. After Oughton died in 1925, the estate became the home of the Keeley Institute, which provided treatment to alcoholics from 1879 to 1965. The Oughton estate was the first Keely Institute, with over 200 locations throughout the US and Europe.
The mansion later became the Country Mansion Restaurant, which closed in 2017. The Public Library is still in operation on the grounds.
It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Copyright 2024 Susan Rissi Tregoning
February 1st, 2024
Viewed 248 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/29/2024 at 7:42 PM