The former Rockville, Indiana, train depot is now a Parke County visitor center.
Constructed in 1883 as a train station by the Pennsylvania Railroad, some historical information calls it the Vandalia Station. The depot had two ticket windows and separate waiting rooms for men and women. Rail service was discontinued in the 1960s, and Parke County Incorporated bought the building in 1971. It is a trailhead for the Rails-to-Trails trail on the old railroad right-of-way. It is also the starting point for the five Parke County Covered Bridge routes.
With 31 covered bridges, Parke County, Indiana, is the self-proclaimed Covered Bridge Capitol of the World.
Copyright 2022 Susan Rissi Tregoning
November 8th, 2022
Viewed 132 Times - Last Visitor from Rennes, A2 - France on 11/30/2022 at 6:21 AM